As a remote interpreter for LAMP’s network of Independently Contracted Interpreters, you are responsible for handling video or telephone calls on-demand and facilitating language communication for the Limited English Proficient (LEP) community in a variety of settings, including medical, legal, and customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fluency in the target language and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics
- Provide effective video or telephonic remote interpreting
- Answer inbound calls in a timely manner
- Provide superior customer service
- Adhere to Code of Professional Conduct, including maintaining strict standards of confidentiality
- Adhere to all policies and procedures, including professional interpretation protocols and industry-specific best practices
- Complete training(s) and participate in ongoing Quality Assurance monitoring
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to read, write and speak the target language at a native level fluency.
- Proficient in both English and the target language vocabularies typically used in formal, consultative, and casual modes of communication
- Exude extreme professionalism through appearance, attitude, punctuality, and posture
- Ability to render precise, accurate interpretations without omissions or additions.
- Ability to remain impartial in all situations relating to both patient and provider.
- Ability to correctly provide culturally necessary information as needed.
SKILLS & ATTITUDES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN JOB
- Excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to work well with people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds and must be comfortable working in demanding situations.
- General computer skills and knowledge of MS Suite / Office programs.
- Landline phone access for sound quality
- An interpreting space that is quiet, secure, and free from outside noises
- Languages: Proficient Language Requirement (all languages)
- 1 – 2 years of translating or interpreting experience required.
- Experience working in a hospital or medical setting is strongly preferred.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION(S):
- At least a high school education, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Certified or working towards certification: CCHI or NBCMI
- 40 Hour Medical Interpreter Training I.E (Bridging the Gap, Cross-Cultural, The Community Interpreter, etc.)
- Eligibility to work for any U.S. employer