Location: Remote (USA)
As a remote interpreter for LAMP’s network of Independently Contracted Interpreters, you are responsible for handling video or telephone calls on-demand and facilitating language communication for the Limited English Proficient (LEP) community in a variety of settings, including medical, legal, and customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fluency in the target language and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics
- Provide effective video or telephonic remote interpreting
- Answer inbound calls in a timely manner
- Provide superior customer service
- Adhere to Code of Professional Conduct, including maintaining strict standards of confidentiality
- Adhere to all policies and procedures, including professional interpretation protocols and industry-specific best practices
- Complete training(s) and participate in ongoing Quality Assurance monitoring
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to read, write and speak the target language at a native level fluency.
- Proficient in both English and the target language vocabularies typically used in formal, consultative, and casual modes of communication
- Exude extreme professionalism through appearance, attitude, punctuality, and posture
- Ability to render precise, accurate interpretations without omissions or additions.
- Ability to remain impartial in all situations relating to both patient and provider.
- Ability to correctly provide culturally necessary information as needed.
SKILLS & ATTITUDES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN JOB
- Excellent communication, organization, and interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to work well with people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds and must be comfortable working in demanding situations.
- General computer skills and knowledge of MS Suite / Office programs.
- Landline phone access for sound quality
- An interpreting space that is quiet, secure, and free from outside noises
- Languages: Proficient Language Requirement (all languages)
- 1 – 2 years of translating or interpreting experience required.
- Experience working in a hospital or medical setting is strongly preferred.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION(S):
- At least a high school education, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Certified or working towards certification: CCHI or NBCMI
- 40 Hour Medical Interpreter Training I.E (Bridging the Gap, Cross-Cultural, The Community Interpreter, etc.)
- Eligibility to work for any U.S. employer
VRI TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS:
PC Minimum Requirements
- High speed internet ( 10 Mbps Download / 5 Mbps Upload)
- Windows 10 or higher
- AMD A8 or Intel Core i5 or faster
- 4GB RAM
MAC Minimum Requirements
- High speed internet (10 Mbps Download / 5 Mbps Upload)
- Mac with Intel Core i5(5th Gen)
- MacOS High Sierra 10.13 or higher
- 4GB RAM
- 40GB hard drive space Latest Safari / Chrome and Apple software updates
- Logitech WebCam® C505 / Anker PowerConf C200 or better (must have MAC compatible version if using MAC)
- Internal iSight
Recommended USB Headset
- Logitech USB HEADSET H570e / Poly C3225 USB or better
- NO Bluetooth or wireless headsets accepted
- Blue/green backdrop wide enough to cover camera field
- Must be in a well-lit, private space for assignments (will test for optimized lighting)
Position Type: Part-time/On-call
Our interpreting and translation work makes a wealth of necessary services accessible to both Limited English Proficient (LEP), deaf, and hard-of-hearing individuals. These services, along with our additional education and training opportunities, strengthen the capacity of other organizations to meet the needs of the diverse populations they serve. The partnerships we provide together with local institutions are life-giving and, in some circumstances, life-saving.
LAMP is a nonprofit organization and part of Catholic Charities Foundation of St. Louis. Proudly serving our region by providing high-quality, professional language access services for more than 25 years.