In-Person Arabic Interpreter
Location: St. Louis, MO (USA)
Position Type: Part-time/On-call
The In-person Arabic Interpreter is responsible for facilitating interpretation sessions in a professional, focused manner and utilizing the necessary equipment to provide accurate and complete interpretation. Interpreters must possess and maintain a high level of skill, proficiency, and professionalism in interpreting. Due to the sensitive nature of much of the information processed during an interpretation session, a high degree of integrity and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
- Flexible schedule
- Company-paid professional interpreter training
- Opportunities for advancement and professional growth
$17 – $40* per hour
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Fluency in Arabic and English and skilled in the associated cultural dynamics
- Ability to provide cultural competency and assess regional and accent differences to find ways of communicating with Limited English Proficiency speakers
- Knowledge of industry-specific terminology, referencing glossaries and training materials, including scripts provided by our clients
- Excellent listening, retention and note-taking skills to maintain a high level of accuracy
- Ability to concentrate and to stay detached from the conversation, remaining neutral and objective at all times and following client’s instructions closely
- Facilitate many kinds of conversations – emergencies, medical procedures, legal situations
- Demonstrate full compliance with LAMP standards and policies, and the Code of Ethics
- Maintain professional standards by attending continuing education trainings to maintain the highest standards for delivery of service
- Handle conference calls when on-site interpreting is not necessary
- Willing to do screening including: TB test, drug test, and FBI background check
- Complete Immunization Records
- Will need reliable transportation
- Turn in client worksheets within 24 hours of appointment
- Complete timesheets with accurate hours and mileage for each appointment
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to read, write and speak the target language at a native level fluency
- Proficient in both English and the target language vocabularies typically used in formal, consultative, and casual modes of communication
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills
- Exude extreme professionalism through appearance, attitude, punctuality and posture
- At least a high school education, Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Eligibility to work for any U.S. employer
- Work experience in language-related fields such as teaching, language assessment, translation or interpretation preferred
- Professional certification and training is a plus
- Experience in relevant areas other than interpretation (e.g. healthcare, legal) is a plus
- LAMP is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
- The hiring process will include written and audio language assessments
Will work on establishing a communication link between non-English speaking individuals and English-speaking health care and social service providers by providing direct interpretation that preserves the verbal and emotional content of the speaker’s statements. This person will also address cultural and social issues that may impact care and service and provide both parties with information needed to ensure complete understanding.
SKILLS & ATTITUDES REQUIRED FOR SUCCESS IN JOB
Well-organized professional, with the ability to multi-task. Must have the ability to work well with people from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds and must be comfortable working in demanding situations.
*Hourly rates are ultimately decided upon review of experience, linguistic skills test, language demand, and location hired.
Language Pair: Arabic / English
Our interpreting and translation work makes a wealth of necessary services accessible to both Limited English Proficient (LEP), deaf, and hard-of-hearing individuals. These services, along with our additional education and training opportunities, strengthen the capacity of other organizations to meet the needs of the diverse populations they serve. The partnerships we provide together with local institutions are life-giving and, in some circumstances, life-saving.
LAMP is a nonprofit organization and part of Catholic Charities Foundation of St. Louis. Proudly serving our region by providing high-quality, professional language access services for more than 25 years. Learn more about our history and work on our about us page.